No chance to save a wood frame house in the countryside up north of Eldorado this morning.
Madoc Township Fire Chief Darren Morrison says the fire started in the chimney of the home on the Old Hastings Road shortly after six this morning, and it burned to the ground in a matter of a couple of minutes. The couple who lived there with their two dogs, were lucky to escape with their lives when the fire flashed, hitting straw insulation in the ceiling, just as they were trying to put it out with a fire extinguisher. The home was heated with a wood stove. The couple did not have insurance. Chief Morrison says chimneys should be inspected and cleaned once a month during heating season.