January 14th, 2018 by

Major damage avoided at Belleville apartment complex

Quick action from an apartment complex tenant and emergency services saved a unit from major damage in Belleville early Sunday morning.

Belleville Fire and Police were called to a north end apartment by a resident of the complex around 3 a.m. after a smoke detector alarm was activated.

Once inside, fire personnel discovered a tenant had fallen asleep while food was being heated in the oven.

Firefighters managed to clear the unit of smoke and prevent the situation from escalating.

No injuries were reported.