UPDATE @ 11:30 a.m.: Quinte West’s Fire Chief says a blaze at a home on Wallbridge Road this morning could have been much worse.
John Whelan tells Quinte News a stove at 541 Wallbridge Road overheated, causing a fire in the attic, around 9:30 a.m.
Whelan says there was a significant risk of the flames spreading rapidly, but firefighters training nearby were able to respond quickly and had the fire out within 20 minutes.
He credits working smoke dectors for alerting the homeowners and ensuring they got out safely.
Damage is estimated around $10,000 and road closures in the area have been lifted.
Whelan says with the rash of fires over the past few weeks, it’s been the busiest December he can remember, since he’s been on the job.
Around 9:30 a.m., emergency crews were called to a home for the report of an oven fire at 541 Wallbridge Road, just west of Tuckers Corners (between Wallbridge-Loyalist Road and Harrington Road)
The two-storey farm house had smoke coming out the back door according to officials.
Crews are currently fighting the blaze and more crews are being called to the scene.
There are traffic issues in the area. The OPP are providing traffic detours.
MORE DETAILS TO COME