According to the College, the following will be implemented, once the Free Speech Policy starts in the new year.
The policy statement is primarily based on the University of Chicago’s Statement on Principles of Free Expression and has five core elements:
- A definition of freedom of speech.
- A commitment to allow open discussion and free inquiry.
- A statement that it is not the colleges’ role to shield members of the college community from ideas with which they disagree.
- A statement that while members of the college community are free to contest the views of others, they must also respect the rights of others to express their views.
- An affirmation that speech that violates the law is not allowed.
Dr. Ann Marie Vaughn’s full interview with Quinte News can be heard below.