Quick action from Belleville firefighters and assistance from nearby citizens helped stop the spread of a marsh fire in Belleville Saturday.
Firefighters from stations 3 and 4 were initially dispatched to an ATV fire off Old Highway 2 East near Rosebush Fuels and discovered upon arrival that the ATV had caught fire and spread to the marsh area along the Bay of Quinte.
A pumper crew was directed towards Rosebush Fuels in case the marsh fire spread to propane products and trucks on the compound.
Fortunately, crews were able to get ahead of and extinguish the blaze about a kilometre from its original location, preventing it from spreading to residential areas.
There were no injuries or fatalities, with the only damage being the total loss of the ATV, estimated at over $10,000, according to Belleville Fire.
The department says they are extremely appreciative of nearby neighbours who assisted in the efforts, namely Brad and Todd Robar and Trevor Gregory.
The fire has been deemed accidental and is being attributed to marsh vegetation catching fire from the hot manifold.