There have been confirmed cases of the flu in the Quinte region according to Hastings and Prince Edward Public Health.
In a media release, the health unit says the cases have been in local long term care homes, as well as within the community.
Public health officials say they are expecting the usual peak over the holiday season, and the number of patients being seen in the Emergency Departments at Quinte Health Care hospitals is on the rise.
The health unit asks those with mild symptoms to stay home and those with severe symptoms such as difficult breathing or shortness of breath should go to the emergency room.
The health unit would also like to remind people to:
- wash your hands frequently
- cough and sneeze into the bend of your arm, not your hand
- avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes with your hands
- clean objects people touch frequently like doorknobs, phones and remotes
- get plenty of rest or sleep
- eat healthy foods and stay physically active to keep your immune system strong
- get your influenza vaccine