Fire caused a lot of damage to a Cobourg house yesterday (Sunday) morning, and a big lizard may have been to blame.
According to Northumberland News, the fire broke out in the back of the house on Springbrook Road in east end Cobourg just before 7 o’clock.
The family and two dogs got out but several reptiles were trapped in the basement. It’s believed firefighters saved all of the reptiles. One five-foot lizard, an Asian Water Monitor, was discovered running around loose in the house.
It’s believed a heater caused the fire after being knocked over by the reptile. All of the reptiles are being cared for by the Indian River Reptile Zoo near Peterborough.