Fire destroyed a brick bungalow west of Tucker’s Corners Saturday afternoon.
The elderly couple who lived in the house, about a kilometre west of Wallbridge-Loyalist Road on Wallbridge Road escaped safely.
Quinte West Fire Chief John Whalen says an explosion in the garage caused the fire. The homeowner had a boat motor being thawed by a propane heating unit after a morning fishing trip.
About $300,000 damage was done. The house was insured.
Quinte West Fire Halls 3 and 4 responded around 1 o’clock and kept the fire from causing serious damage to the neighbour’s house nearby.