It looks as though Prince Edward County will cease plans to install three electronic waste collection bins at its transfer sites in an effort to assist volunteer groups with continued community fundraising.
At Thursday’s committee of the whole meeting, volunteer Linda Ryan asked that the municipality not follow through with plans to offer the service as it could potentially take away from groups who rely on e-waste pick up events for fundraising initiatives.
At a May 11 meeting, the committee held an extensive discussion on the matter when a letter from Phil St-Jean, Past President of the Kinsmen Club of Picton was presented stating the Kinsmen raised over $4500 last year as their share of proceeds from e-waste collection events. He too asked that council hold off on installing the bins saying it could put charities at risk by competing.
At the time, Commissioner of Engineering, Development and Works Robert McAuley said he was concerned that if the County didn’t offer the service now that Quinte Waste Solutions wasn’t providing it, e-waste would end up in the garbage because people didn’t have the option to drive to the fundraising events.
“Home hardware and our volunteers have given close to $35,000 over seven years to the Prince Edward Memorial Hospital Foundation,” said Ryan during Thursday’s meeting. “I would hate to see the County take that away from us. It’s not just money. I have had youth with court appointed community hours that have helped us out and Home Hardware has turned around and hired them. It’s all about maximizing our dollar. The money is well spent in the community.”
Many councillors agreed that this is a worthwhile service the volunteers are providing.
The committee carried the motion that states the County will assist the groups by providing a partnership and advertising the upcoming e-waste fundraising dates on the municipal website.
A final decision will come back to council at a later date.