Charges have been laid after a downtown Belleville apartment house fire early this month.
Around 2:30 on the morning of February 2, residents of the old building at Pinnacle and Dundas East had to run from the building as it filled with smoke.
There had been a fire on an upstairs apartment kitchen stove.
Belleville Fire Prevention Officer, Norm Mitts, says 2 smoke alarms had been removed from the apartment.
The apartment’s tenant has been charged with “failing to contact Landlord because of a disconnected smoke alarm”.
The charge carries a $360 dollar fine.