Belleville’s Fire Prevention Office has issued fines against a city man, following a blaze in an east-end kitchen last week.
Fire crews were called to the Dundas Street East apartment on the afternoon of January 11th, where they extinguished a small fire, that had started on a stove.
An investigation into the blaze found that the tenant had disabled his smoke detectors, even after signing a waiver with his landlord, saying that they were working fine and he wouldn’t touch them.
The man, whose name wasn’t released, was fined $360 for violating the Ontario Fire Code.
Fire prevention officers are reminding tenants and landlords about the importance of smoke detectors and say tampering with the devices won’t be tolerated.