An elderly couple could have lost their lives early Tuesday morning in what investigators have now deemed an accidental fire.
Thankfully an alert neighbour came to the rescue pulling the pair from their home at 201 Forsythe.
Mike Brennan lives near the intersection of Forsythe and Blessington Roads in eastern Thurlow and saw the house burning and raced over to help.
The woman was out, but the man was still inside a back bedroom.
Fire Commander Cliff Christopher says Brennan had to act quickly.
The couple were taken to Belleville General Hospital for assessment. The couple suffered smoke inhalation and are being treated in hospital.
Belleville Fire Investigator Dave MacMullen said damage is estimated around $300,000.
MacMullen praised Brennan for his efforts explaining he will be recommending him for multiple fire safety and life saving awards.
A formal press release is expected later Tuesday.