Fast work by an apartment building superintendent kept a cooking fire from causing a lot of damage in Belleville yesterday.
The residents in an upper floor Elgin Street apartment building had a pot with oil cooking on the stove when the oil ignited around 6:30 last night.
The man and woman left the apartment and pulled the fire alarm, while other tenants called 911.
The superintendent managed to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher as they were spreading to cupboards above the stove.
Damage was contained to the immediate area around the stove, and estimated at $2,500.
No one was injured.