The members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) would like to remind parents/guardians and children that Halloween can be a time of both excitement and potential danger. Help keep everyone safe by following these Safety Tips:
1. Wear light coloured Halloween costumes, ones with reflective material on them (increases visibility);
2. Use makeup instead of a mask (this allows you to see better);
3. Wear short costumes (to avoid tripping);
4. Walk, don’t run from house to house;
5. Carry a flashlight;
6. Do not criss-cross the street, go up one side and then down the other;
7. Follow the “rules of the road” and remember to STOP, LOOK and LISTEN, before you cross the street;
8. Never go out “trick or treating” alone
9. Tell your parents/guardians your route. Better yet, take them!
10. Never go inside houses to get your treat;
11. Go only to homes that are well lit and are participating in Halloween;
12. Do not eat your treats before an adult has checked them;
13. Know where the Safe Places are in your community where you can go to for help.
By following the above tips and using common sense you will not only have a scary Halloween but a safe one too!
For more safety and crime prevention tips, please visit our website at www.opp.ca.