Quinte West OPP are looking for a man, who they say, approached a young gril walking home from school yesterday.
Investigators say the girl was walking home from her Byron Street school, around 2:45, when a pick-up truck stopped beside her and the driver got out, asking her to come over to him.
The girl ran to a safe place, to call police and wasn’t followed by the suspect.
The man is described as white and in his 40’s, with a brownish/blonde hair and a bald spot, with a goatee.
The pick-up is black, with a grey cap and large side mirrors.
Police are asking anyone who might have seen the vehicle to contact them and have released a list of safety tips for kids, which you can find below.
Some safety tips from Quinte West OPP:
- Remind kids not to speak to people they don’t know
- Ensure your kids know how to contact you at work or on your cell phone
- If kids are home alone, keep the door locked and don’t open the door to talk to anyone you don’t know
- Remind kids it’s OK to say NO to things that make them feel scared or uncomfortable and to tell you if anyone every makes them feel this way
- teach kids to check in with you if there’s a change of plans
- Teach kids to never a approach a vehicle, occupied or not, unless the know the owner and are with someone they know
- Practice “what if” situations and ask your kids how they would respond, i.e.: What if you fell off your bike and got hurt, who would you ask for help?