More charges have been laid against the city man said to be involved in a stabbing in downtown Belleville last week that has left another man in critical condition.
Twenty-seven-year-old Adam Thomas of Belleville was charged with assault with a weapon on Sunday after an arrest warrant was issued, following a reported brawl between five to 10 men on Bridge Street West and Coleman Streets early Friday morning.
Tuesday, Belleville police Staff Sergeant Sherri Meeks confirmed six new charges have been laid against Thomas including assault causing bodily harm, failing to comply with a probation order and four counts of failing to comply with a recognizance.
Meeks said the 30-year-old man injured in the incident remains in the Intensive Care Unit at Kingston General Hospital, but his condition has been upgraded to stable.
Thomas is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing Wednesday when another charge of failing to comply with a probation order will be rolled into these new charges.
Thomas was set to be sentenced on that charge Wednesday morning, however, due to the fact he’s in custody they will be combined.
The failing to comply stems from a December 2015 incident in which Thomas was charged with mischief under $5,000 after property was destroyed at a Front Street business.
In April, Thomas pleaded guilty to both the mischief and failing to comply charges. He received a suspended sentence plus 12 months probation for the mischief. Sentencing on the failure to comply was set for August 30.
The bail hearing begins at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Quinte Consolidated Courthouse in Belleville.