Quinte West Fire Department investigators believe a cigarette ash can left outside and very close to a house on White’s Road may have caused this morning’s (Saturday) fire.
Firefighters were called out at 7:40 a.m. and arrived to find the bungalow, located just north of Hamilton Road, fully engulfed.
The family of 3 were sleeping at the time and were awakened by a neighbour banging on the door. Everyone escaped the house safely.
The house was gutted, and Fire Chief John Whalen says about $240,000 damage was done.
Firefighters kept flames from affecting homes beside the house.