On March 4, 2016 at 8:20 p.m. members of Central Hastings OPP responded to a car versus deer collision on Highway #37 near Zion Road in the City of Belleville after a group of three deer ran into the path of a vehicle. No injuries were reported, however the vehicle sustained significant damage.
From October 2015 to present Central Hastings OPP has responded to eighteen (18) wildlife related motor vehicle collisions on Highway #37 South between Moira Road and Blessington Road. Central Hastings OPP would like to advise the motoring public to watch out for wildlife and exercise extra caution specifically while travelling in this area.
Watch Out for Wildlife
• Scan the road ahead from shoulder to shoulder. If you see wildlife beside the road, slow down and pass carefully as they may bolt suddenly onto the road.
• Stay in control of your vehicle and never swerve suddenly to avoid an animal.
• Stop as safely as possible. Brake firmly if an animal is standing on or crossing the road and remember if one animal crosses the road others may follow.
• Never assume an animal will move out of your way. If hitting an animal is unavoidable, remember to stay in control and look where you want to go and not at the animal.
• At night use your high beams where possible and watch for the glowing eyes of animals ahead
Stay Alert, especially in the early morning, at dusk, and at night.