City & baby Sens deal released
A Freedom of Information document is shedding some light on the deal between the City of Belleville and the Ottawa Senators, for the relocation of their American Hockey League affiliate to Quinte.
A source, who has asked not to be named, quotes several details from documents which were released Wednesday. The Freedom of Information request was made last fall, to release what tax dollars were spent on the acquisition.
The close to 100 pages, breaks down the deal between the municipality and the owners of the Belleville Senators.
SEE MORE BELOW
The source tells Quinte News that the municipality loaned $6.5 million US (roughly $8.5 million Canadian) to the owners of the Belleville Senators. The source adds that half the money will only need to be repaid if the team leaves Belleville. The other half is to be paid back by 2025, at 1.5% interest.
The City of Belleville has also approved $20 million for renovations to the Yardmen arena, which are expected to be complete by November 1st.
SEE MORE BELOW
Councillor Mitch Panciuk on the loan.
Councillor Panciuk (who voted in favour of the deal) fells it was poorly negotiated from the city’s perspective.
Panciuk adds that he never wanted to keep the deal secret from taxpayers. He went one step further, stating he believes it was illegal to do what they did.
Councillor Paul Carr says he is happy to see the details out there.
Councillor Kelly McCaw was the only councilor who voted against the deal. She tells Quinte News it was no where near the deal, with the first interested party.
McCaw tells Quinte News in the original negotiations, the City of Belleville would have had a stake in the team and a lower loan to be handed out.
That deal was never agreed upon, but a source to Quinte News says it did have support from all members of council.
Councillor Jack Miller says he is happy the numbers have been released. He says at the end of the day, council voted 8-1 in favour of the deal. He says the $6.5 million is a loan, the money is not given away.
He adds there will be an economic impact of $5-10 million annually.
Quinte News has reached out to every member of Belleville Council for comment.
Boomhower off to Dallas camp
A graduate of the Quinte Red Devils and Wellington Dukes will be heading south in a few weeks.
Mississauga Steelheads forward Shaw Boomhower has been invited to the Dallas Stars development camp.
Boomhower was ranked in this past NHL draft, however was not selected in Chicago earlier this month.
Boomhower was in the OHL final this year with Mississauga and was named the third best body checker in the eastern conference coaches poll this year.
Coach announcement next week
We should know the head coach of the Wellington Dukes early next week.
The team has been without a bench boss or GM, since the unforeseen resignation of Marty Abrams June 12th.
Abrams is now behind the bench of the Trenton Golden Hawks.
Wellington President Doug Robinson says they expect to have someone announced early in July.
Dialysis priority for OurTMH
The Chair of OurTMH says he is surprised to hear of the financial support of a Belleville dialysis clinic, while Trenton’s proposed future still is not known.
Mike Cowan spoke at the Annual General Meeting of Quinte Health Care in Wellington Tuesday afternoon.
He says the KGH Belleville Dialysis site received $2.4 million in funding from the Southeast Local Health Integration Network earlier this week.
Cowan says they have not heard an answer back from the Ontario Renal Network or Kingston General Hospital on the future of Trenton’s proposed site.
He says regardless of what happens in Belleville, they want to get a dialysis clinic in the proposed health hub at TMH.
He adds that there is a need for this now and more so in the not too distant future. He says the numbers are concerning.
Cowan says there is still room for an expansion in Belleville and a new dialysis clinic in Quinte West.
No time frame has been announced for a decision on the Trenton location.
New hospital site approved for The County
Patients in Prince Edward County now know their new proposed hospital location. It will be the old site.
On Tuesday afternoon at the Quinte Health Care meeting in Wellington, board members approved the current site in Picton for the new build.
Quinte Health Care Board Treasurer David MacKinnon .
MacKinnon says the location scored higher than the other proposed site.
QHC CEO Mary Clare Egberts says that will now go to the Ministry of Health for approval.
CEO Mary Clare Egberts tells Quinte News about the next step.
The submission will be made in the fall.
Summer jobs aplenty in Quinte region
The Government of Canada and a Quinte-area Member of Parliament are connecting local students with summer jobs this year.
Bay of Quinte MP Neil Ellis and Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, the Honorable Patty Hajdu, are both assisting the Government in starting the 2017 Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program.
The CSJ program provides funding to help employers create summer job opportunities for students in their communities, as well as providing them valuable experience and essential skills for the future.
Bay of Quinte employers have received just over $709,000 in funding to create 272 new job opportunities for students.
In 2016, the Government of Canada nearly doubled the number of jobs available through the CSJ program, from 34,000 jobs to 65,800.
To find out which Bay of Quinte employers are hiring through the CSJ program this summer, go to Canada.ca/canada-summer-jobs.
Canada 150 money to local historical group
A local historical group will be receiving a donation from a provincial insurance company, in honour of Canada’s birthday.
Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group out of Lindsay has announced they’re providing $150.000, split among six heritage causes southeastern Ontario.
Each group will receive $25,000 including the Hastings County Historical Society.
The society is not-for-profit, promoting the historical significance of Hastings County and the archives Hastings and Belleville.
Lang Pioneer Museum, Lanark County Archives, Kawartha Settlers Village, Rural Ottawa Museums and Glengarry Pioneer Museum will all each receive $25,000 as well.
Site selection night for QHC
It is a big night for members of Quinte Health Care, in particular those in Prince Edward County.
Their bi-montly meeting and Annual General Meeting goes Tuesday evening, in Wellington, where board members will sign off on a site for the proposed new hospital in Picton.
It is being recommended that the current hospital site be the location for a new build, which is expected to be close to a decade away.
At the AGM, the audited financial statements and the Board of Director selections will take place.
Their June meeting gets underway at 3:00 p.m. at Essroc Arena, while the AGM will follow at 5:00 p.m.
Belleville house hit by lightning
A Belleville home has received thousands of dollars in damage, following a lightning strike Monday night.
Emergency crews were called to the home in the late afternoon.
It happened on Gavey Street, south of Maitland Drive between Highway 62 and Sidney Street.
Home owner Mark Hymus says the family was enjoying dinner, when they heard a loud bang.
Hymus says there was a fair amount of damage.
No one was injured.
Belleville man missing at Bon Echo waters
A 47 year old Belleville man went missing from Mazinaw Lake, while out near Bon Echo Park Saturday afternoon.
Napanee OPP, the Marine Unit, paramedics and fire officials responded to the water, where a man went under, while trying to help someone tubing behind a 14 foot boat.
The boat began drifting away and the man wasn’t wearing a life jacket.
The female tuber was assisted to the shore, while the man never resurfaced.
The search was suspended due to weather conditions.
The Underwater Search and Recovery Unit were called back and will continue looking for the man.
Paddle the Trent
It was the perfect weekend to get out on the Trent River for paddling enthusiasts.
The Lower Trent Conservation “Paddle the Trent” event took place in Trent Hills, as part of celebrating Canada 150.
It is one of four events scheduled for the Lower Trent outdoor series.
Wellington B and E
There was a break and enter early Monday morning in Wellington.
Prince Edward OPP were called to Rock’n Rogers Pizzeria in Wellington around 2:00 a.m.
Officers say the cash register was taken and there were clear signs of a break in.
If you have any information, contact Prince Edward OPP or Crimestoppers.