UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal crash
UPDATE @ 2:20 p.m. Jan.30/18:
Belleville Police have released an update on yesterday morning’s fatal crash in east end Belleville, including the name of a 24-year-old man who was killed and the conditions of four other people injured.
It happened around 8:00 a.m. on Airport Parkway, near Mitchell Road and involved three vehicles.
Investigators say the driver of one of the vehicles, Bradley Gamble of Shannonville, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 62-year-old Belleville man in another vehicle was treated for minor injuries at Belleville General Hospital and released, while three people the third vehicle, members of a family from Shannonville are still in hospital in Kingston.
A 51-year-old woman suffered broken bones, a 57-year-old man is listed in critical condition and a 16-year-old girl is in serious condition.
The Traffic Safety Unit and Forensic Identification Services are still investigating.
Anyone with information on the crash can contact Constable Travers at the Belleville Police Service.
Airport Parkway remains closed near Mitchell Road in east end Belleville, after a fatal crash Monday morning.
Around 8:20 a.m., EMS, fire and police were called to the scene, adjacent to the CN tracks, after a three vehicle crash.
Two cars and a pickup were involved, with one vehicle ending up in the ditch.
One person was pronounced dead at the scene, while three others were taken to KGH, with serious injuries.
The Traffic Safety Unit is on scene and is investigating.
Mitchell Road is also closed, except for local traffic.
Those looking to get around the collision scene should use Casey Road or Old Highway 2.
If you have any information, you’re asked to contact Constable Travers at the Belleville Police.
CORRECTION: Charges withdrawn against Quigley
We need to correct a story regarding Jamie Lee Quigley, and the charges withdrawn against her in Belleville court.
According to court officials, in February last year, 35-year-old Scott Levesque, 31-year-old Jamie Lee Quigley, and 55-year-old Steven Cox were charged after an OPP/Belleville police raid on a residence.
Quigley was charged in the investigation, but the court has withdrawn all charges against her.
Originally, Quinte News stated that the investigation was connected with Project Silkstone, however that is not the case.
We apologize for the error.
Band council election postponed
If you’re a voter for the Band Council election on the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory, take note.
The election originally schedule for this Saturday has been postponed.
Electoral Officer Michelle Maracle tells Quinte News there was a problem with the first set of ballots that were mailed out and election rules require a mandatory period before new ballots can be sent out.
That required the election to be pushed back a week.
Maracle says the vote has been rescheduled for Saturday December 9th.
OPSEU overwhelmingly rejects college offer
Ontario’s striking college faculty have voted not to accept an offer that would have ended the nearly five-week job action.
OPSEU President of Local 420 at Loyalist College Eric Bauer says it came as no surprise the offer got rejected.
Only about 1,600 staff voted to get back to class.
Quinte News has reached out to Loyalist College for further comment, but for now, College President Dr. Anne Marie Vaughan has issued a statement to students on the college’s website.
Many students have backed up their teachers, but do admit they’re frustrated by the entire process and other students across the province and at Loyalist, have filed a class action lawsuit in an attempt to recoup tuition fees lost due to the lengthy strike.
In reacting to the result of the vote, Premier Kathleen Wynne has said she’s attempting to meet with both sides as quickly as possible, but there’s no word yet if back to work legislation will be put in place.
Local contractor wants Sears to pay up
A local contractor tells Quinte News he is owed more than $100,000 by Sears Canada and he wants to get paid.
Friday morning at the Sears Warehouse on College Street East in Belleville, a representative for a company, who asked not to be named, blocked an entrance to Sears warehouse with a company truck, while he blocked three tractor trailers with a back hoe.
He says he has done maintenance on the property for years and Sears has not paid a $125,000 bill to his business.
Among the work is landscaping and snow removal.
He says the police were called Friday morning and he was ordered if he did not remove his equipment, he would be charged.
The equipment has been moved.
The contractor says there are many such businesses in the area in the same situation.
He tells us he had a chance to meet with the plant manager and he has received word that partial funds will be given to him next Tuesday.
Both the warehouse and Sears retail store in Belleville are slated for closure, but a timeline for work to shut down is not known.
More than 12,000 workers nationwide will be out of work before the end of winter.
We have reached out to Belleville Police and the Sears Warehouse, but have not had calls returned.
Council rejects Lobbyist Registry
A bid to establish a registry to track who is lobbying Belleville city councillors didn’t get off the ground this week at city council.
Councillor Paul Carr introduced a motion calling for a staff report on a Lobbyist Registry.
Carr tells Quinte News it’s important there’s accountability, and the public should know who is influencing ideas.
A number of councillors argued against such a registry, some referring to “red tape” and extra staff time.
The city is already investigating an Integrity Commissioner role.
The Lobbyist Registry motion was defeated on a vote of five to four, with Councillors Jackie Denyes, Mike Graham, Jack Miller, Garnet Thomson and Mayor Taso Christopher voting against.
UPDATE: Mechanical failure deemed potential cause of truck fire
UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m.: OPP say a mechanical failure is the potential cause of a fire, in a transport truck carrying flammable cargo, on the 401 in Kingston last night.
Firefighters and OPP responded to the highway, between Perth Road and Sir John A. MacDonald Boulevard around 10:30.
Investigators say the fire spread to the truck’s fuel tanks which exploded and ignited the cargo in the trailer.
The driver was able to get out safely and wasn’t injured.
Both lanes of the higway were closed for four hours, as the ministries of transportation and environment and an environmental clean-up company cleared the scene.
One lane re-opened around 3:00 a.m. and the other at 6:00 a.m.
A tractor trailer exploded and burst into flames on Highway 401 in Kingston last night (Tuesday).
Explosions were heard around 10 o’clock as the truck burned up in the westbound lanes.
According to social media reports, the transport’s driver escaped safely. And also, according to social media reports not confirmed by police, the truck was carrying a flammable liquid.
The 401 westbound, at Kingston, was closed for around 5 hours to deal with the incident.
OPP opened the highway to traffic shortly after 4 o’clock this morning.
Moore talks Chief Gignac complaint
The man who made a complaint against the Belleville Police Chief says safety and freedom are never at odds.
Wednesday on the Lorne Brooker Show, Darren Moore discussed the complaint made to the Officer of Independent Police Review Director.
It referred to Chief Ron Gignac’s comments to the Intell, stating “he is more concerned about the safety of a life, than a Charter violation”.
The comment was allegedly made in reference to a recent impaired driving case, where a local judge criticized two Quinte West officers for reportedly conducting an illegal strip search.
He says it is about reasonable search, and universal bra removal is an issue.
Last month, Chief Gignac told The Lorne Brooker Show that everything he said during the interview was not printed.
He says he deeply cares about the Charter of Rights and Freedom.
The full interview can be heard below.
Sentencing in Quinte West sex assault
A 67 year old Quinte West man pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual assault last month in a Belleville courtroom.
Speros Kanellos was charged in connection with an incident involving a woman in August of last year in Trenton.
Mr. Justice Stephen Hunter sentenced Kanellos to 90 days jail, to be served intermittently, and 2 years probation.
He was banned from owning weapons for 10 years, and will be included on the sex offender registry.
Trio of impaired driving arrests in Prince Edward County
A Quinte West man has been charged with impaired driving following a crash on Friday night.
At 9 p.m. officers responded to the intersection of Dixon Drive and Sidney Street for a report of a two vehicle crash involving a car and a personal mobility scooter.
During the course of the investigation police say it appeared that the driver of the personal mobility scooter was impaired by alcohol.
As a result, 34-year-old Robert Bonnett is charged with driving a motor vehicle with more than 80 mgs of alcohol in his system.
He was released with an October court date.
There were no injuries reported from the collision.
Meanwhile, charges were laid against a Belleville man after OPP stopped a car with a burnt-out headlight on Morgan Road, around 3:00 a.m. Saturday.
Officers determined the driver was intoxicated and also found a pair of brass knuckles in the vehicle.
23 year-old Andrew Urch was charged with impaired driving and unauthorized possession of a weapon.
And a Waterloo man was charged with impaired driving after an officer stopped a speeding car on Highway 62 on Saturday night.
Frankford resident wins big
Cathy Reid of Frankford is $120,000 richer after going ‘ALL IN’ to win the POKER LOTTO ALL IN jackpot.
Reid won $115,597.90 in the September 11 draw plus $5,000 on the instant portion of her POKER LOTTO play bringing her total winnings to $120,597.90.
The winning ticket was purchased at Oasis Grocery & Gas Bar on Riverside Parkway in Frankford.
Six-year-old boy raises $41 for new County hospital
Six-year-old Haimish Hunter is doing his best to help the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation team keep on track with their fundraising plans for the proposed new hospital.
Conductor Haimish, his mom Hilary and their friends Jasper, Kate, Rory, Peter, Emma, Abbie and OPP Constable Marc marched as box cars of a train in the Milford Fair parade on Saturday, September 16 and collected change along the route to donate to the new hospital project. They raised $41.15 that will “go into the bank account and help us get a new hospital,” Haimish declared when he presented the funds to Foundation staff members Briar Boyce and Penny Rolinski on Sept. 20. Haimish also learned that if each person in the County (at a population of 25,000) donated $41, the Hospital Foundation would raise over $1M.
Haimish and friends are the youngest contributors yet to the new hospital campaign.
Haimish and the Foundation board and staff would like to thank the youth volunteers at the PEC ROC Youth Centre who created the banner for the parade which is pictured with Haimish.