Power out in part of Quinte West
Hydro One is reporting a power outage in Quinte West, just east of the Trent River.
The utility company’s outage map shows about 2,600 customers without power, in an area stretching from the bay up to the 401 and from the river, almost to RCAF Road.
There’s no word on what caused the outage but the estimated restoration time is 5:30 p.m. today.
Pair of donations to “Back The Build Campaign”
The Kiwanis Club of Picton has made a donation to the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation’s “Back The Build Campaign”.
The money was collected from parking fees during the recent Elvis Festival at Waupoos Estates Winery.
The amount of $1,100 is the total cumulative donation to the campaign so far.
Also on Wednesday, St. Andrew’s Anglican Church donated approximately $3,500 to the campaign as well.
That money was raised during the church’s 10th anniversary golf tournament.
The “Friends of the Hospital” group also made a presentation to the Kiwanis Club, giving an update on the plans for a new hospital in Picton and is available to give similar presentations to other groups around Prince Edward County.
UPDATE: College Street re-opens after gas leak
UPDATE @ 1:05 p.m.: Belleville Police say a section of College Street East has been re-opened after a gas leak this morning.
No other details on a cause have been released, but authorities said at the time that nobody had been injured or evacuated.
Belleville Police have been forced to close a section of College Street East due to a gas leak.
A tweet from the police force says the road was closed because of the leak at 114 College Street East, just after 11:00 a.m.
The closure is in place between Prince of Wales and Moira Street East, as Belleville firefighters and Union Gas crews are on the scene.
Some excavation work may be required to fix the leak, so the road closure will likely last for a few hours.
There is no immediate need for nearby residents to evacuate and no injuries reported.
Lockdown ends at Collins Bay Institution
A nearly week-long lockdown at Collins Bay Institution is over.
Acting Assistant Warden Heather Hyndman says the lockdown had been in effect between August 8 and August 13, while a search was conducted and that a number of unauthorized items were found.
No detail was given on what those items were.
Hyndman says normal operations have resumed and visits are being allowed again as well.
Quinte West Council Briefs: August 13, 2018
Kuypers unhappy with council remuneration policies
A Quinte West city councillor has introduced a notice of motion to address what he feels are issues with council remuneration policies.
Councillor Fred Kuypers’ four-part motion would include clauses that public members of committees be reimbursed for their services and that councillors only be allowed to attend one paid conference per year.
He also thinks councillors who sit on committees should not be paid extra and that any member of council performing their duties within city limits not be paid extra for travel, parking, or other expenses.
Mayor Jim Harrison noted that the policies have been in place for years and says staff are putting together a report, but it will likely be the next council that deals with the issue.
Public meeting Wednesday on Oak Lake study
Anyone interested in the rehabilitation project around Oak Lake may want to attend a public meeting this week.
The meeting is being held Wednesday night, between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. at Farmtown Park in Stirling, to update residents on the progress of the ongoing project and to introduce residents to consultants from Hutchinson Envrironmental Services.
The study of the ecosystem around Oak Lake, aimed at identifying issues with water quality and levels, is expected to be completed by June 1, 2019.
You can get more info on the study by clicking here.
Childhood cancer month declared in Quinte West
The City of Quinte West is proclaiming September as Childhood Cancer Month.
The proclamation will recognize children who have been lost to, or are battling cancer and bring awareness to the cause.
Evelyn Wilson spoke to council on Monday night and says it’s an issue that hits very close to home.
As part of the proclamation, you’re encouraged to wear gold ribbons throughout the month to support the cause.
Resident wants repairs to park in Murray Ward
Quinte West city staff will be looking into the conditions of a local park, whcih one resident says has become unsafe.
Brian Weese spoke to councillors on Monday night and says there are a number of issues with the Wooler sports field including a dilapidated building.
Director of Public Works Chris Angelo said he would follow up with Weese and meet him at the park to assess the situation and see what can be done.
Copeland sentenced to life in prison for killing Elizabeth Nugent
The man convicted of killing a Belleville woman in her Burlington apartment has been sentenced to life in prison.
Malcolm Copeland, who was found guilty of second degree murder in the 2014 incident that left 32-year-old Elizabeth Nugent with fatal slash wounds to her neck, will be eligible for parole in about 11 years, according to InsideHalton.com.
Police were called to Nugent’s apartment in the early morning after neighbours reported screams coming from inside and got into a three-hour standoff with Copeland, who told police he had a gun.
Tactical officers forced their way inside the home after Copleand opened the apartment door to reach for a pizza he had asked for and Nugent’s body was found under a bloody sheet in the bedroom.
Copeland had claimed that Nugent attacked him with a utility knife and that she was injured during a struggle for the blade.
According to the newspaper, Nugent’s family wasn’t pleased with the sentencing decision and voiced concern after the hearing that Copeland may re-offend if released.
He had originally pleaded not guilty to the charges and refused to make a statement when given the opportunity at the Monday hearing.
Familiar fraud scheme making the rounds again
It seems a familiar scam is making the rounds again but many local residents still aren’t aware of it.
A concerned caller to Quinte News says at least three people she knows have been victimized, or almost victimized, by a scam that makes you believe a family member is in trouble and needs money.
The caller says all three people she knows live in the Trenton area, with at least one of them almost sending $8,000 to a supposed family member, who said there had been a death in the family involving a child.
She says she just wants people to be aware of the scam so nobody ends up out any money needlessly.
It’s a reminder to never send money to anyone over the phone until you’ve verified their identity.
Police suggest contacting them or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre if you receive similar calls.
Lots of weekend work for Northumberland OPP
There were a number of incidents to deal with for Northumberland OPP this past weekend.
A 44-year-old man from Hamilton Township was charged on Friday after vehicles parked in a garage on Minifie Road had been entered and cash was stolen.
Another resident in Hamilton Township reported a potential scam to police the same day, after recently buying some computer software.
A suspect was able to gain access to the person’s bank account and make some transactions, before threatening to take more money, but it’s not known if any cash was actually lost.
On Saturday, a woman in Campbellford reported cash going missing from her purse, after letting a man into her home to use the washroom. That investigation is continuing.
And on Sunday, a 19-year-old man from Trent Hills was charged with assault and mischief after a disturbance at a Campbellford restaurant.
Northumberland OPP officers also dealt with some other fraud and theft calls, along with 14 accidental 911 calls, nine crashes and 45 traffic-related complaints.
Sandercock, Handley, Anderson and Moore win at Brighton Speedway
Charlie Sandercock raced to his second Triple Crown titsl during a busy night at Brighton Speedway this past weekend.
He edged out Adam Turner and Kyle Sopaz to secure his fifth overall win of the Vanderlaan Building Products Late Models season.
Kraig Handley on the OilGARD Anit-Rust Canadian Modifieds race, starting from the third place spot and finishing ahead of Adam Whaley and Andrew Hennessey.
Doug Anderson went from 13th to first in the Brighton Automotive Thunderstock feature and Matthew Moore picked up his second Comp 4 season win.
In the Thunder Stock and Comp 4 mechanics races, Brandon Gregory and Josh French picked up wins respectively.
Senators sign Tkachuk to entry-level deal
The Ottawa Senators have inked one of their top prospects to a three-year entry-level contract.
Brady Tkachuk, the fourth overall pick in the 2018 draft, signed his first pro deal today and is now eligible to join the NHL club in Ottawa, the AHL Senators in Belleville, or the London Knights of the OHL for the upcoming season.
Tkachuk played last season with the NCAA’s Boston University, where he had eight goals and a team-high 23 assists last season.
He also helped Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2018 World Junior Hockey Championship.
He is the son of former NHL forward Keith and the brother of current Calgary Flames winger Matthew.
OPP enforcing “move over law” this long weekend
Along with watching for the usual “Big Four” causes of fatal crashes, OPP will also be focusing on Ontario’s “move over law” during this long weekend.
Increased traffic volumes will likely lead to more emergency vehicles on provincial roadways and OPP are reminding drivers that it is the law to slow down and change lanes if safe, when you see emergency personnel parked on the side of the road with flashing lights active.
The law was put in place to protect first responders like police, firefighters, paramedics and tow truck operators while they do their jobs.
Failure to obey the rule could result in fines between $400 and $2,000, three demerit points and a possible licence suspension if convicted.
Trenton man cashes massive Lotto Max win
A Trenton man has won more than $17.6 million dollars from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.
Ralph Johnston of Trenton won the Lotto Max Jackpot on the July 27 draw.
He says consistently playing the lottery for ten years finally paid.
Johnston, who works in the financial services industry, didn’t share his plans for his winnings and says he always buys his ticket at the same spot.
Lotto Max has paid out more than $4.3 billion in prizes since its launch in September of 2009.