NHSP funding to Frankford senior centre

A beautiful gondola stationed near Frankford. (Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

Bay of Quinte MP Neil Ellis was on hand to deliver $25,000 in funding to The Garden Place in Frankford Thursday morning. (Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

Multiple projects in the Bay of Quinte, including The Garden Place in Frankford received some big money today.

Bay of Quinte MP Neil Ellis delivered $25,000 in funding through the New Horizons Seniors Program to The Garden Place Thursday.

MP Ellis said it’ll be used to expand seasonal activities for the senior community.

The other projects that received funding were; the Quinte West Royal Canadian Legion Branch 110 ($25,000), College Hill United Church Social Group ($20,250), and the Prince Edward County Radio Corporation ($23,766).

Funding for renos to Batawa Ski Hill

Neil Ellis and Sonja Bata, CEO of the Batawa Development Corporation.(Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

From left to right: Emily Kingdon of the Batawa Development Corporation, MP Neil Ellis, Sonja Bata, Connor LaGuff, Quinte West Mayor Jim Harrison, and councillors Sally Freeman and Keith Reid at the Batawa Ski chalet.(Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

A large chunk of change is heading the way of a popular local attraction.

Bay of Quinte MP Neil Ellis announced significant federal funding for renovations to the Batawa Ski Hill Thursday morning.

Under the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program, MP Ellis announced $370,000 for upgrades to the community centre at the ski hill.

The money will be used to improve accessibility, for upgrades to flooring, the addition of community activity space, improvements to the trails and the installation of a pump track at Batawa Ski Hill.

The Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program is a $300 million federal program which is being delivered by regional development agencies across the country.

PEC wedding rudely interrupted

The church on 134 Water Road, southeast of Demorestville that saw its floor collapse during a wedding ceremony Saturday evening. (Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

The church had been used only as an event venue the last several years and not as a religious gathering place. (Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

All weddings are never to be forgotten by the bride, groom and their immediate family, but this one, on this July Saturday in Prince Edward County, will never be forgotten by any of the over 100 people attending.

A 20 x 20 foot portion of the floor of an old church at 134 Water Road, southeast of Demorestville collapsed in the middle of the wedding ceremony shortly before 6 Saturday evening.

Several people fell through to the dirt floor basement,with 3 people being taken to hospital with minor injuries.  A few others were treated at the scene.

Prince Edward County firefighters and EMS paramedics responded.

The church was no longer used as a religious gathering place, but as an event venue and was popular for weddings.  The structure had been moved from Adolphustown about 15 years ago.

After the dust settled, the wedding continued outside.

Prince Edward County Fire Chief Scott Manlow says the structure has been secured and the building department will begin an investigation first thing Monday.

(Photo: John Spitters/Quinte News)

Opportunities available for aspiring police officers

If you are eager to become a police officer, you have a great opportunity to take a big step in that aspiration next month.

The Belleville Police Service will be holding a recruiting process for police officers in late August and early September to attend the Basic Constable Program at Ontario Police College in 2018.

Applicants must complete an application package and submit a hard copy of all documentation listed (scanned and emailed packages are not accepted). Applicants must either have a current OACP Certificate of Results or a test/retest date on or before September 30, 2017.

Applicants are encouraged to visit the Applicant Testing Services website for upcoming test dates and additional information related to police recruiting.

Click here to apply.

Empire Rockfest roars to success

The Glorious Sons’ Brett Emmons gets the crowd into a frenzy at Empire Rockfest (Photo: Tim Durkin/ Quinte News)

The fans came out in droves over three days of Empire Rockfest 2017 – and the artists responded through their outstanding performances.

This year’s edition of the outdoor rock show featured a star-studded Canadian lineup in honour of our country’s 150th birthday.

Thursday night kicked off with Sum 41 as the headliner, followed on Friday by The Trews and Jake Clemons (the lone American to perform) and wrapped up Saturday with stirring sets by the Glorious Sons out of Kingston and The Sheepdogs.

An estimated crowd of 3,500 took in the show last night, with no major incidents to report.

A look from the stage at Empire Rockfest


The Vile Bodies perform to open up for The Glorious Sons and The Sheepdogs. (Photo: Tim Durkin/ Quinte News)

Belleville man arrested and charged with B&E, stolen property

Belleville Police arrested and charged a city man following a break and enter Friday morning.

Around 9 a.m., police responded to a west end residence where the homeowner reported that sometime overnight an unknown person had broken into their residence and stolen several items along with their vehicle.

Following an investigation, police were able to locate the person responsible for the break and enter, the stolen vehicle and property near Tyendinaga.

As a result, a 46 year old Belleville man was arrested and charged with numerous offences including Break and Enter, theft over $5000 and possession of stolen property.

He was held for a Show Cause Hearing.

ATV accident in Tweed

There was an all terrain vehicle accident in the Municipality of Tweed late Friday night.

Reports indicate two males were found on the ground along Kinlin Road, southeast of the village of Tweed.

The reports also indicated both were conscious.

The pair were treated by paramedics.

No further detail available at this time.

Suspects on the loose following armed robbery in Shannonville

(Photo: Quinte News / File)

Police are looking for suspects after an armed robbery on the Tyendinaga Territory earlier Saturday morning.

Reports indicate two males brandishing a machete and a handgun stole cigarettes from a gas station in Shannonville shortly before 2 o’clock.

The service station was just east of the Tyendinaga/Belleville border.

The suspects drove away. No injuries were reported and the OPP is investigating.

Shovels are in the ground on new Fire Station in Quinte West

Members of Quinte West Council, city officials, fire personnel and members of Taskforce Engineering were on hand to break ground on the new fire station in Quinte West Friday morning. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

A look at the planned exterior design for the new Quinte West Fire Station #1. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

The city of Quinte West has broken ground on a new Fire Station #1.

On Friday morning, members of Quinte West Council, city officials, fire personnel and Taskforce Engineering were on hand for the ceremony, taking place at 49 Dixon Drive, right beside the police station.

The station is expected to be built with around 22,000 square feet of space and will house full-time, 24-hour staff, as well as a complement of volunteer firefighters. It will include doors at the back and front of the station to allow for safe exits for personnel going out on assignments. The new building will also serve as the Fire and Emergency Services Headquarters with offices for fire administration, as well as fire prevention personnel.

Quinte West Fire Chief John Whelan is promoting safety and sufficient space as high priorities with the new Quinte West Fire Station #1. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

Quinte West Fire Chief John Whelan says the construction of this new fire hall was a long time coming for the city.

John Whelan

Taskforce Engineering President Peter Kempenaar says he wants to get started on the project as early as next week in order to have it on schedule for a fall 2018 completion. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

Taskforce Engineering was the winning bid for the project out of 17 other candidates. President Peter Kempenaar says they want to get going with the project as soon as possible.

Peter Kempenaar

Chief Whelan says he is extremely happy to have Taskforce on board for the project.

John Whelan 2

In addition, Quinte West fire received blueprints from McKnight Charron Limited (MCL) Architects in the Barrie-Collingwood area and are able to carbon copy their designs.

METTKO Ltd. will be expected to provide project oversight.

Quinte West Mayor Jim Harrison says the facility will be up to the standards and services that the Quinte West Fire Department provides.

The $5.6 million project is expected to be completed in the fall of 2018.

Walt’s and Trenton MFRC team up for sweet shindig

The group of people involved in making the Walt’s Sugar Shindig family fun day event happen. The event will run August 5. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

Details have been released on a family event headed up by two visible names in the Quinte region.

Walt’s Sugar Shack and the Trenton Military Family Resource centre have partnered for the “Walt’s Sugar Shack Shindig” Family Fun Day event, being held at the Salem Road location next month.

The free event will feature live musical entertainment from Steve Wilkinson and The Reasons, along with a petting zoo, crafts, games, face painting and a vendor market. Lunch will be provided, consisting of hamburgers, or sausage-on-a-bun with fries and a drink for $7, while dinner will consist of beef and roasted pork with corn-on-the-cob, fries, a drink and dessert for $15.

The famous “Walt Drops” will be provided as well as a treat, with Walt’s Maple Cotton Candy as another option.

Trenton MFRC Director of Operations Leo Phillips says volunteers are needed to help with the Family Fun Day event. (Photo: Brock Ormond/Quinte News)

Trenton MFRC Director of Operations Leo Phillips explains some of the goals they are aiming.

Leo Phillips Clip

Phillips added that there’s another goal for the Shindig; showcasing Walt’s Sugar Shack to military families or other people who may be new to the area.

He tells Quinte News the funds from the event will go towards the Trenton Family Resource Centre for some important projects.

Leo Phillips 3-2

Phillips added that they are in need of volunteers.

Tuesday’s media event was attended by several other members of Trenton MFRC, as well as members of Quinte West Council Jim Alyea and Sally Freeman.

The Shindig will be held at Walt’s, 1671 Salem Road in Consecon, from noon to 9 p.m. on Saturday, August 5.

For questions, or to volunteer, you can contact Special Events Coordinator Stefanie Wolf at stefanie.w@trentonmfrc.ca or at the base at 613-392-2811 ext 4635.

Busy off-season continues for G-Hawks

Gage Stephney from the 2015-16 season with the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League’s St. Thomas Stars. The 17-year old Sault Ste. Marie native comes to the Golden Hawks from the Soo Thunderbirds, where he scored 33 points in 48 games last year. (Photo: Dan Hickling, Elite Prospects)

The Trenton Golden Hawks busy off-season continued Monday with another player acquisition.

The team announced that they acquired forward Gage Stephney from the Soo Thunderbirds of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

This marks the third ex-Soo player the G-Hawks have acquired this offseason, following Zach Senecal and Mark Tassone.

The 17-year old Sault Ste Marie native scored 33 points in 48 games for the T-Birds last season.

Kaladar man charged with assault


A 21-year-old man from Kaladar has been handed multiple charges following an altercation in the Township of Addington Highlands yesterday.

At 5:20 yesterday afternoon, Napanee OPP responded to a disturbance at a residence on Highway 7.

Police discovered through an investigation that the 21 year old man and a 19 year old woman were involved in an altercation.

The man had also uttered death threats toward the woman and her pet and also damaged property inside the residence.

Police charged the man with assault and assault with a weapon, mischief to property under $5,000 and two counts of uttering threats.

The man’s name is not being released to protect the victim’s identity.

He will appear in Napanee Provincial Court today.