It’s the third historical plaque this summer, and it’s going to the northern section of Hastings County.
The Hastings County Historical Society will unveil the third of seven bronze plaques to be dedicated throughout the county over the summer months.
This one celebrates the Bancroft Hotel, which Society President Richard Hughes says has been “a centre of business and social activity in the town for more than 100 years.”
The plaque carries the following text:
Following the surveying of the Hastings Colonization Road, the Clark family were the first Europeans to settle here, along the banks of the York River in 1853. They were soon followed by James Cleak and Alfred Barker. A post office was established in 1861 and the settlement became Bancroft in 1879. This site, known simply as “Hotel Corner”, has long been the home of the Bancroft Hotel and the centre of the community’s social and business activity. The hotel was destroyed in a major 1914 fire and was rebuilt immediately.
The original hotel building now houses a number of businesses and the plaque will be installed at one of them, the Bancroft Brew Pub.
Gail Krupa and Ray Krupa bought the Bancroft Brew Pub a few years ago and are intrigued by its history.
Gail Krupa tells Quinte News she and Bancroft Councillor Mary Kavanagh framed historic old photos of the hotel, which now hang in the restaurant.
The plaque dedication will take place at “Hotel Corner” number 4 Bridge Street at 2 p.m., Saturday.