November 13th, 2017 by

Stove ashes cause barn burn

Scene from Craig Road barn fire. (Photo: Dave MacMullen, Belleville Fire Department).

Three firefighters were injured while dousing hot spots after a barn fire yesterday afternoon on the border between Belleville and Tyendinaga Township.

Firefighters from Belleville, Tyendinaga and Mohawk fire departments responded around 12:30 to an old barn fully engulfed in flames on  Craig Road, near Highway 401.

There was no livestock involved, but the barn held about 100 round hay bales.

Later in the afternoon, 3 firefighters were injured.  Two were treated on the scene while the third was taken to hospital and released around midnight.

The fire was caused by the accidental improper disposal of wood stove ashes.

About $50,000 damage was caused.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on Twitter